Passage of Lines

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
SteveR
Chasseur

Passage of Lines

Message par SteveR » sam. 10 avr. 2021 22:40

I am having difficulty understanding passage of lines and have two questions.

1. Consider the following case. Each character shown is one base with 11 and 22 infantry units, 33 is a Cavalry unit. All are facing in the same direction - up on this page. No other units are within 1 UD

May the Cavalry unit 33 pass through both 11 and 22 using passage of lines even though there is not a gap between these units? The rules on page 37 only address the requirement for a gap on either side of the units passing, not in front or in back. However the third bullet does specify there must be room on the other side of the unit being passed through. I take that to mean at the end of the move but it is not explicitly specified that way.

2. Second Question. The rules for Retreat or Flee of a defeated unit allow it to pass through friends using passage of lines. What happens if the retreat or flee distance results in the unit not passing entirely through the friend? In this case is the unit retreat or flee distance increased to push them to the other side of the friend?

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Passage of Lines

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 11 avr. 2021 08:51

I don't have the rules to hand. As I recall however, the first case is not specified explicitly. From my reading the passing unit must have room to complete its move. I can not see any logical reason why the cavalry could not pass both if it has the distance to do so.
The second case is covered in the clarifications document. Pass one unit and move the others to make room.

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Message par Viking709 » lun. 19 avr. 2021 19:51

Hey Steve
1. Yes. The cavalry is not interpenetrating the infantry but going around it (at least that’s how we’ve played it)

2. Say 11 is shot at and falls back. It falls back immediately behind 22 and stops as its behind a formed unit but if it was charged and decided to flee and take a cohesion loss then it would flee (say cav is 4.5 UD behind) but could not clear the cav so would stop in front of the cav (It could have also stopped immediately behind. 22). Keep in mind that units that are within 1 UD of rear of a fleeing unit also become disordered pg 60. 4th bullet
Also
From the Herve document
Retreat of a defeated unit - Page 60
During a retreat, a unit can only pass through one friendly unit. If it has several friends in a column just behind, push the other units to make room for it.
I had a game against Marshall Swanson and my 11 and 22 were Austrian large L2 in line
His 1st division fired and my 11 fell back behind 22 disordered with a loss
His Second division prep shot at 22 with a 12lb canister and it failed its morale test. 22 retreated 2UD WITH 1.5 losses disordered. As the 11 was immediately behind 22 it suffered an additional disorder and had to flee with an additional loss
Hope this helps
Walt

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » lun. 19 avr. 2021 20:43

For 1 :
imo it's possible to make the passage of line, for 33 even if there is no gap between 11 and 22, only if 33 have enough move to clear all the infantry units.
I asked this to Hervé yesterday, waiting for his answer.

2/ yes the unit distance is increase to pass through ONE units max, the other one are push back to make room.
Viking709 a écrit :
lun. 19 avr. 2021 19:51
His Second division prep shot at 22 with a 12lb canister and it failed its morale test. 22 retreated 2UD WITH 1.5 losses disordered. As the 11 was immediately behind 22 it suffered an additional disorder and had to flee with an additional loss
For me, Passing through a unit 1UD less behind cause disorder only for Choc result .( p60 in the french book.) but i agree it's confusing as the retreat sequence for firing is not detailed.
Cordialement

Olivier M

Répondre