Artillery reactions

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
KeefM
Sergent Major

Artillery reactions

Message par KeefM » lun. 13 sept. 2021 22:52

heya all,

Just a quick query about reactions permitted to artillery ...

On page 39, under Limbered Artillery section, 6th bullet point about limbering and unlimbering: The last sentence in that bullet point says "It cannot perform a reaction or opportunity fire." On page 46 Reactions, opportunity fire is just listed as one of the many reactions possible.

Yet, on page 62 under Unlimbered Artillery, the 2nd bullet point indicates that artillery can attempt to turn to face a charge. This seems to contradict page 39.

So, can artillery who have limbered or unlimbered react (change orientation or formation) when enemy either charge them or approach to within 4UD ?

I assume that a battery without any action marker who have enemy move within 4 UD, can react and either limber or unlimber and/or change orientation. Could they then opportunity fire immediately ? (On the basis that those are the same conditions prevailing when they unlimber in their own activation and then fire.)

Similarly, can a battery that has fired and therefore has an action marker still react ? Other units can still react with action markers, so is it only limbering or unlimbering artillery that cannot ?

Cheers,

Keef

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Artillery reactions

Message par RogerGreenwood » mar. 14 sept. 2021 14:53

Artillery that move or fire or do both get an action marker and will not be able to react at all to enemy movement. (page 39) That means if the artillery moves in it own turn it will have an action marker and not react to any enemy movement. I see no reason that if it doesn't have an action marker why it should not unlimber and opportunity fire. This would probably be unnecessary if it can do so in its own activation later.

Reactions to being charged are different to reactions to enemy movement. This appears to be the reason for the confusion.

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » mer. 15 sept. 2021 22:40

Indeed ... but, artillery that fire and/or move by prolong are NOT excluded from a reaction (on page 39, the 6th bullet only mentions limbering or unlimbering).

And, reactions on page 46 includes charge responses as well as all the other possible reactions (which is why I asked about the specific exclusion for that particular bullet on page 39).

Hence my question ... does the veto against artillery reacting to enemy presence only extend to those with an action that limbered/unlimbered ? Bearing in mind, that even if they limbered/unlimbered then the reaction to charge piece on page 62 allows artillery (no exclusions) to turn to face (thus seemingly contradicting page 39).

BTB, having an action marker does not preclude a reaction for any other troops ...

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 16 sept. 2021 16:36

Hi All,

i've just got an answer from "El Creator" ( Hérvé) .

He said :

limbered artillery with an action marker can only react by fleeing. Nor other reaction are allowed.

If it had no action marker, it can react.

that's cover only half of the answer ( what about artillery who unlimbered during this turn ? ) but it's a good start :lol: :lol:

regards.
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 16 sept. 2021 18:00

Re-read the section. I agree it is unclear as to whether an unlimbered artillery with an action marker can react by changing orientation.
It is not a common occurrence. We have played a lot of games and never had this issue. Maybe we never thought to do it ! I cannot think of any occasion in our games where a unit approached the flank of artillery within tactical distance and stopped.
My feeling is they should. All other troops get the option even with an action marker.

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » mer. 6 oct. 2021 02:37

Me too ...

Any further word from Herve yet, Olivier ??

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » mer. 6 oct. 2021 17:13

Hi,

Artillery without action marker can react.

Regards.
Olivier
Cordialement

Olivier M

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » mer. 6 oct. 2021 23:24

And with an action marker too ?

It seems odd that artillery is the only troop type that can't react if having an action marker.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 7 oct. 2021 07:43

Hi,

unlimbered artillery can react as all other units. (with or without action marker)

Limbered artillery with action marker can only flee as reaction, if no action marker, it can react as usual

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » ven. 8 oct. 2021 07:48

Cheers Olivier ! As I had originally surmised ... artillery are like every other unit unless limbered with an action marker. Phew, that all makes perfect sense !

Répondre