rear support in charge, then volley fires

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
KeefM
Sergent Major

rear support in charge, then volley fires

Message par KeefM » mar. 30 nov. 2021 01:45

One for the precision-measuring folk ...

An infantry unit charges an opposing infantry, and brings along one friend in rear support. All units are in line. The rear support unit is within 2 UD of the enemy unit but its front edge is not within 1 UD of the charging unit rear edge.

In the combat result, the charging unit has to retreat, passes through the rear support without disordering it (outside 1 UD) and can then halt or carry on for the full 4UD of the retreat move.

Both the enemy unit and the retreating unit have action markers; the rear support unit does not.

The rear support unit now volley shoots in the firing phase as it has no action marker !

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Re: rear support in charge, then volley fires

Message par Adrian Steer » mar. 30 nov. 2021 19:37

Not sure how the supporting unit can be within 2UD of the enemy if its outside 1UD of the rear of the unit in front as the base depth is supposed to be 1UD? Also I think you'll find that units making passage of lines can't shoot or charge as per the clarifications.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mar. 30 nov. 2021 22:42

I believe it is the moving unit in the passage of lines that cannot shoot.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 1 déc. 2021 21:31

Yes I was wondering if it was but took the view that both units are involved with the passage of lines the confusion is due to the word "make" being used not move as both units could be said to make the passage of lines but only one of them actually moves. (I would further point out that its possible for both units to move during a passage of lines) to me it would make sense that neither unit can fire, my point about distances still stand. I also noticed it said that troops being interpenetrated can do preparatory fire but nothing about final fire ( perhaps the author only considered troops going forward). I also notice it isn't possible to do passage of lines within 2UD of formed enemy. Perhaps because infantry combat is relatively rare we haven't looked at this in detail. It does suggest that troops in moral support to the flank can then shoot at the victor of an infantry combat if still in arc ( the victor having advanced 1UD). All in all a good question that may need further thought and enlightenment!

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 1 déc. 2021 21:59

PS I believe the clarifications make it marginally clearer what the intent is :)

Répondre