Occupying a Building

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Occupying a Building

Message par viperofmilan » sam. 2 mai 2020 20:33

Got a question from a game today.

Situation: Friendly unit A wants to move to and occupy a building in it's activation. Enemy unit B is touching the side of the building opposite friendly unit A.

Questions:

1: Can either unit occupy the building as doing so would violate the rule about not getting within 1 UD of an enemy unit without closing to melee?

2: Can unit A occupy the building by attacking unit B, already in contact with but not occupying the building?

3: Can unit A move to and occupy the building in it's activation without reference to or reaction from enemy unit B?

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Occupying a Building

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 3 mai 2020 15:21

😁 Brilliant question. Never thought of that one!
I have no idea what the correct answer is. My first thought is that to get so close you have to charge. As someone mentioned in another thread, move up to a building. The next half move is to enter it, the second is to exit through it. I don't see why you cannot charge through a building that way. Difficult terrain to fight in though.

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Message par Viking709 » dim. 3 mai 2020 15:36

Kevin
Check out page 8 on French forum. Movements in building

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 3 mai 2020 16:42

Page 8 ruling is sensible. You can't keep the enemy out of a building by standing behind it. Technically not the letter of the rules, but better.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 3 mai 2020 19:59

Thanks guys. makes little sense to me, but I can live with it now I know.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » dim. 3 mai 2020 23:32

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=456&sid=fb4091b157b ... e57082c915

So you enter the building and the enemy is treated as if they were 1 UD away.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 4 mai 2020 00:45

Dan,

I get that. So why cannot the unit under maneuver orders enter the building and move the enemy unit 4 UD away. Same logic it seems to me.

Like I said, I can live with it, But it isn't consistent across other parts of the rules, and so to me, doesn't make sense.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » lun. 4 mai 2020 18:14

I missed you were asking about a maneuver order.

So a maneuver order is a restriction on how close you can go to opponents. So I would say the maneuver order prevents you from going in.

I mean in the hierarchy of what I am told to do, a maneuver order is clearly an instruction to not get too close to the enemy.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 4 mai 2020 20:03

I totally agree. But there is a general injunction against getting within 1 UD of a formed enemy without closing to hand-to-hand (i.e. charging). I simply do not see why that does not apply in this situation as well. As I said, I can live with the whole "move the defender back 1 UD" thing. I'm too much of a purist. My mind is somewhat offended by logical inconsistency.

hcaille
Général de Division

Message par hcaille » mar. 5 mai 2020 16:54

If there are two enemy units on each side of a building, the first one to activate can enter in the building even if it's less than 1 UD from the enemy.
It is not a charge (as you cannot charge from a building) but the unit can fire to the enemy.
The enemy can also react by an opportunity fire but the target will have the cover of the building.

If we prohibit entering in the building because the enemy is less than 1 UD, it will drive some weird situation : nobody can enter in the building and nobody can charge because of the building.

Répondre