Prep Fire

Ask a question about rules
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Prep Fire

Message par viperofmilan » sam. 2 mai 2020 20:48

I read on the French forum that artillery could fire + limber + move during prep fire (assuming they are not movement class C guns), incurring the appropriate -1 modifier. My question is would the reverse situation also be permissible; i.e artillery moves + unlimbers + prep fires, incurring the appropriate -1 modifier?

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Re: Prep Fire

Message par Hazelbark » dim. 3 mai 2020 00:54

Could you paste the thread here so we could find it?

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 3 mai 2020 11:37

artillery preparatory fire
Post by Talleyrand » Sat 11 Jan 2020 04:28

On the GB forum, they raise an interesting problem.

p29 mark action it says
a unit receives an action marker if it shoots ...
and even
Artillery with an action marker cannot displace (but may flee)
p54 movements and shots, it says
Artillery can fire, harness and move, but fire is done with -1
So far I have forbidden myself from moving after a preparatory fire, but ultimately what can an artillery do after a preparatory fire?

Isn't there a difference between foot and horse artillery?
fought often, beaten sometimes, never shot
User avatarzeitoun
Captain
Re: preparatory artillery fire
Post by zeitoun » Sat 11 Jan 2020 05:55

hello,

P29 it says "an artillery with an action marker cannot move (it can however flee). the cavalry and the infantry can move

too" have always seen the preparatory fire as a possibility of shooting and not of movement because I estimated that the preparatory shooting allows only to shoot

.. TO SHOOT + To harness and to move poses a real problem because it is necessary to mark the site of the artillery deployed the shooting being done at the end of the movements.

I would be ready to simplify in the following way:

Preparatory fire = FIRE + MOVEMENT only in this order (as we know exactly where the artillery is at the time of the shooting)
Movement phase = MOVEMENT + SHOOTING only in this order (to avoid having to mark the shooting location)
Which means that you can only move after a shot in the preparatory shooting phase.

It also gives meaning to the ATTELER + MOVEMENT + DETELER which does not allow firing.

By cons what about the detachment skirmishers? can they shoot and then move in this preparatory shooting phase? This will then create a new special case.

What do you think ?
Olivier M

gibbyj
Adjudant

Message par gibbyj » dim. 3 mai 2020 14:46

An artillery can move, unlimber and fire depending on class, but it wouldn't be in the prep fire phase as the move would be in the movement phase which is after the prep fire phase.
cheers
Jim

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Message par Viking709 » dim. 3 mai 2020 17:58

So Jibby are you saying that a battery can prep fire and announce that it will limber up and move in the movement phase therefore say it’s at canister range and an 8lb A battery. Fires at +3 with -1 for moving and no stationary bonus so net +2. And moves 5 UD as it’s an A battery ?

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 3 mai 2020 20:02

Not saying this is wrong gibbyj, but a good argument can be made that this prep fire + move thing could / should work both ways. Just saying.

gibbyj
Adjudant

Message par gibbyj » dim. 3 mai 2020 21:26

No, I said you can move, unlimber and fire.
I said nothing about prep fire, limber and move. I'm not sure the rules are clear on how that works. Whereas I'm pretty sure Herve has clarified the former.

I wouldn't have a problem with prep,limber move if that's the way it is. I would have a problem with moving in the prep fire phase.
cheers

jim

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » dim. 3 mai 2020 23:39

So my read of this, nothing says this can be done. I would not permit it, without express confirmation from El Kreator.

I think the notion that Preparator Fire includes movement seems odd give the p 29 reference to "may fire".

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 4 mai 2020 00:47

Ahem . .

Dan, please see Herve's posting copied above. That is exactly what he is saying.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 4 mai 2020 00:49

Oops!

Sorry Dan. My bad. This posting is from Olivier, not Herve.

Répondre