Group moves

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Group moves

Message par viperofmilan » mer. 6 mai 2020 17:48

OK, I'm back again with (perhaps) a stupid question.

By way of background, discussion of tactical doctrine on p. 23 of the English edition rules describes 4 doctrines that define "the formations that infantry units can have". These are linear, deep, mixed, and loose order (side note: in contradiction to the sentence quoted, loose order explicitly applies to detached skirmishers, cossacks, and Spanish guerillas; so not just infantry units). It also says "Cavalry and artillery operate in the same way for all nations", but does not specify what that "same way" is. This becomes important when we look at group moves.

When considering group moves, does the above mean:

1. Cavalry must either all be in line or all in column to move as a group; or

2. Cavalry follows the tactical doctrine of it's nation: i.e linear, deep, or mixed.

I assume #1 is the correct answer, but having loose order cover both infantry and cavalry made me doubt my original understanding of the rule.

fdunadan
Capitaine

Re: Group moves

Message par fdunadan » jeu. 7 mai 2020 16:09

Hello,
8th bullet of the definition of groups (page 19 bottom in the French version) " the units must be in the same formation, line, column or square. Some units may be in line or columnin the same group if all the units of the group have the mixed doctrine"

and the cavalry is generally in line , and pass in column only for passing in a tight space (bridge, road,...)

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » jeu. 7 mai 2020 18:30

the US rules have the same.

The mixed order is apparently an infantry only reference.

Add p 36 3rd bullet which again read differnt fomation only if mixed order.

So at the point i think no Cavalry in line and cavarly in column are not a group with each other. Not until we get a ruling.
Artillery can be with either.

As a note which Viper developed, Cavarly in column is fine figthing infantry. Artillery is more effective against column cavarly, but infantry is not. I believe this represents the historical cavalry often charged by squadrons and not always by the regiment. Also often cavalry would manuver in squadrons and not dressed in regimental lines. Although cavalry in column caught by enemey cavalry in line are down.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 7 mai 2020 21:57

Thanks gentlemen.

That is what I thought as well, but I began to doubt when loose order included cavalry. I thought there was a chance the others might be intended to include cavalry as well.

Répondre