Unit orientation prior to retreat or flee move

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Unit orientation prior to retreat or flee move

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 30 août 2020 16:07

Maybe a stupid question, but I find the description in the English rules very unclear on this point.

A unit forced to retreat or flee as a result of shock combat first must be oriented with it's front enemy" for a retreat, and with it's "rear facing the enemy" for a flee (page 60). Since there is no unit conformation as the result of a charge move (page 42), this usually means that the two units in shock combat are not actually facing each other as I understand that concept; i.e. with their front edges parallel. So my question is

1. Does the losing unit alter it's facing to face directly towards (for retreat) or directly away (for flee) from the winning unit before making it's mandated move? or;

2. Does the losing unit simply use it's current facing to determine the direction of it's retreat or flee move?

Thanks.

babyshark
Soldat

Re: Unit orientation prior to retreat or flee move

Message par babyshark » lun. 7 sept. 2020 17:25

That is an interesting question. I have been playing using the retreating / fleeing unit's current facing, rather than adjusting it to line up with the enemy first. I think that Fleeing Sequence on P45, first bullet, solves the question by saying that the fleeing unit makes a half turn if charged on front its edge. A later bullet in the same section says that the unit performs the flee movement in a straight line.

Marc

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 7 sept. 2020 21:43

Thanks Marc. That is how I understand the author's intent as well, but I thought I'd ask how others play it.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 9 sept. 2020 16:00

Yes had a strange outcome yesterday in that a unit of cavalry caused a unit of infantry to flee then because it had hit the infantry at an angle ( no conforming) advanced 1 UD and hit the unit next to it. All of which appears OK with the rules rather than chase the guys fleeing.
PS both infantry units were in square formation - superior tactics and a 6:1
:D

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 9 sept. 2020 16:00

Yes had a strange outcome yesterday in that a unit of cavalry caused a unit of infantry to flee then because it had hit the infantry at an angle ( no conforming) advanced 1 UD and hit the unit next to it. All of which appears OK with the rules rather than chase the guys fleeing.
PS both infantry units were in square formation - superior tactics and a 6:1
:D

Répondre