Unit visibility on gentle hills

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Unit visibility on gentle hills

Message par viperofmilan » mar. 15 déc. 2020 13:54

I thought I understood this, but now I'm not sure. Please bear with me.

p. 20 says "a unit cannot charge or fire at an enemy hidden in a wood or behind the crest of a hill" but that "a hidden unit that fires, however, reveals itself to all enemies".

A couple questions about unclear points.

1. Really? So a unit firing negates the LOS and visibility rules for woods and crests? That literally is what the English RAW says here, even though it makes no sense and contradicts terrain descriptions / restrictions on p. 70.

2. Again, in the English version of the RAW, "crests" are only mentioned in the context of steep hills: steep hills have "crests" that divide the hill into 2 steep slopes; gentle hills have central plateaus defined by "slopes" which do block visibility (p. 70). Visibility for steep hills is discussed at some length on p. 70; gentle hills not really. Note also that "slopes" are not mentioned on p. 20. Is this intentional, or a problem with translation?

3. Does the rule that "a hidden unit that fires, however, reveals itself to all enemies" (p. 20) overrule the general visibility indications for the "slopes" of gentle hills (p. 70)?

4. If not, then what do the visibility rules on p. 20 mean?

Thanks in advance for any guidance (with rules citations or author interps please).

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Unit visibility on gentle hills

Message par RogerGreenwood » mar. 15 déc. 2020 17:30

The page 20 rule appears to me to be the usual thing seen in other rule sets. For example, a unit hidden in the edge of a wood can see out as if in the open. It cannot be seen or shot at. However, if it shoots when an enemy comes within range, it will no longer be considered hidden and the enemy can shoot or charge it.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mar. 15 déc. 2020 17:39

Further to the above, there are two types of visibility. The first is where neither side can see each other such as on the opposite sides of hills. The second is where one side can see the other, but not vice versa. Page 70 seems clear. On a gentle hill if units are within 1 UD of the contour line they can see and be seen from below.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 17 déc. 2020 02:46

You could be right Roger, but then again, the English rules say what they say on p. 20.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 17 déc. 2020 10:12

I thought what I wrote was in agreement with p 20. Have I not understood something?

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 17 déc. 2020 12:47

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I read your response to hedge the p. 20 line with provisos and conditions not mentioned on p. 20. An unseen unit that shoots reveals itself to all enemies. Period. That is what it says on p. 20. If it is seen, it can be fired on and/or charged. Yes?

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 17 déc. 2020 17:32

Yes, that's it.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 24 déc. 2020 14:35

Got it.

Répondre