Charge Priority

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Charge Priority

Message par viperofmilan » mer. 10 mars 2021 22:50

Re-reading the rules again (always dangerous) when I noticed something I had missed before under Chare: Target Priority (p. 42). The third bullet reads:

"A unit that has one enemy within 2 UD of its flank or rear may make a reorientation to face the threat. It cannot charge another enemy."

Not sure exactly what this means.

1. Can the reorienting unit charge the unit formerly on its flank or rear, or does it simply turn to face? Seems odd if it doesn't charge since this cryptic sentence is under "Target Priority" but the text does not explicitly say it can.

2. Can the target unit launch an opportunity charge if otherwise able to do so?

3. Does the reorienting unit have to make any maneuver test to successfully reorient prior to it's charge?

4. Can any unit so reorient prior to it's charge? Only cavalry? Only infantry?

Thoughts, with rules citations please. It is not that I do not respect your opinions, but they are no better than my opinions, and so provide no answers.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Charge Priority

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 11 mars 2021 00:26

I don't have the rules to hand. However, just reading the paragraph you quote, for me it means if a unit is threatened by a unit to flank or rear it may not charge at another unit.
To put it more directly, you cannot charge a different target if you are about to be charged from flank or rear. It stops units escaping by charging away.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 11 mars 2021 02:17

I agree it says that Roger, but what about my other questions?

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Message par Viking709 » jeu. 11 mars 2021 04:50

I read it to mean that it can not charge the units to its front nor the unit on its flank as it was not within its 45 degree arc at the start of its activation
I also think it would be required to make a maneuver test as it is trying to reorient or change formation (square if cavalry is on its flank) within 2 UD of enemy

fdunadan
Capitaine

Message par fdunadan » jeu. 11 mars 2021 14:13

in French that"s " a unit that has ONLY one enemy unit ..." so there is non one in front.
so
1) it can only reorient to face the enemy, charge can only be done if the target is in front of you at the beginning of the activation.

2)an opportunity charge from the enemy is possible, since you're presenting flank or rear et so are in default at the start of your move.

3) a test is required if you're under an opportunity charge, otherwise no ( p38 enemy menace)

4) anyone can reorient, but no charge this activation.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 11 mars 2021 14:48

There are no exceptions to the ordinary charge or opportunity charge rules I can see. The last post sums it up.
It would be better if the author had not mentoned reorienting to face the threat as this is covered elsewhere.
Under the charge sequence it is certain that changing face and charging is not allowed.
Despite what I have heard from some wargamers, repeating rules in different sections can confuse more than it clarifies.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 11 mars 2021 20:45

I have to agree Roger. This entire bullet point just doesn't belong in anything titled "charge priority". I agree with just about everything everyone has posted here. Sounds like it is not really a "translation error" as the French rules appear to say the same nonsensical thing.

Thanks to all.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 12 mars 2021 17:31

Hi all,

I agree, it's appear like a ZOC , and this have nothing to do in this section of the rules as you cannot charge this unit.

Regards.
Cordialement

Olivier M

Répondre