Converged Grenadiers and Voltigeurs for French & Polish

Ask a question about rules
craig
Soldat

Converged Grenadiers and Voltigeurs for French & Polish

Message par craig » ven. 19 mars 2021 19:52

I have a question about the topic in the subject line. Want to make sure I'm interpreting this properly. Sorry upfront this is long-winded...

On pages 166 (French) and 202 (Polish), it suggests the Commander in Chief (CiC) can personally command these non-artillery units. This seems to be an exception to the normal reserve rules for individual units and the CiC, page 67-68. In practice, correct me if I'm wrong...

1) These units could be assigned directly to individual divisions using the reserve points available to the CiC, starting on-board (normal rule), or

2) These units could be left in reserve, numbering up to the value of the CiC, then assigned to an individual division, starting off-board and coming on-board turn 2 with 1 CP for unit/group, heading to the division commander (normal rule), or

3) This is where I'm not sure... These units could be left in reserve, again numbering up to the value of the CiC, but assigned to the CiC directly (not normal), starting off-board and coming on-board turn 2 with 1 CP for unit/group, heading to the CiC.

Is option 3 what is intended with the entries on pages 166 and 202 for Converged Grenadiers and Voltigeurs? Essentially, are these exceptions to the normal rules?

Last, if the above option is acceptable, do the reserve infantry units, specifically CG/V as named in these entries, have the option to start on-broad, under command of the CiC, like artillery reserve, or do they need to start off-board like suggested in #3 above?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Craig

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Re: Converged Grenadiers and Voltigeurs for French & Polish

Message par zeitoun » ven. 19 mars 2021 20:00

Hi Craig

only artillery unit can be directly attached to the CIC.

The others could be assigned to a division, or keep offboard.
Cordialement

Olivier M

craig
Soldat

Message par craig » ven. 19 mars 2021 21:01

Thank you for the quick reply. The last sentence in each section of National Characteristics says "These units can be attached to any infantry division or to the commander in chief". That last part about the CiC is the confusing part. Without the CiC mentioned, why even have an entry in the first place, it would just be the standard rules mentioned earlier in the book. Odd... no matter, I'll move on. Thanks again!

Craig

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 19 mars 2021 21:42

just to be more precised.

You can put this unit in the reserve box during the army creation or assigned it to a division.

But before the battle, if this unit is in the reserve box, you MUST assigned it to a division for 1 reserve point, OR keep it offboard and assigned it to a division later in the battle.

Hope i'm clear.

Regards.
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 20 mars 2021 00:52

That is definitely not how the rule reads to me. It seems to me that the specific army list points are exceptions.
I would also read it that these units may be attached to divisions initially when the list is written. If we do not use this interpretation these units are no different to those of standard reserves.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » sam. 20 mars 2021 08:29

I would also read it that these units may be attached to divisions initially when the list is written

i agree, and that is the exception.

If not mentioned in the army list , it's not possible to attached directly units to а division. You must attached them to the reserve box and take 1 reserve point.

If you attached directly to division, there is no Reserve point used for that. therefore you save one reserve point.
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 20 mars 2021 12:16

"Attach to any division or the commander in chief" can only mean are directly under the command of the c.in c. Having to attach them to other divisions would not be an exception.
When writing the list, I would leave them in the reserve section of the list and only the commander in chief would activate them. Given the way the reserve normally works I presume they activate when another division activates.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » sam. 20 mars 2021 15:31

p 68 Reserve UNITS.

"Commander in chief can only keep on direct command artillery units ".

The only solution to activate another type of unit with the CIC is to give FOLLOW ME ORDER.p33

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

craig
Soldat

Message par craig » sam. 20 mars 2021 16:27

zeitoun a écrit :
ven. 19 mars 2021 21:42
You can put this unit in the reserve box during the army creation or assigned it to a division.

But before the battle, if this unit is in the reserve box, you MUST assigned it to a division for 1 reserve point, OR keep it offboard and assigned it to a division later in the battle.

I think this clarification really helps. Being in the Reserve box in the army list had me thinking they started there when creating the army list. So the section in the National Characteristics passage just gives you the flexibility to add these units directly to a division during list creation, avoiding the Reserves mechanic entirely.

Ding Ding Ding! Light bulb!

Thank you again!

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 20 mars 2021 19:49

I am aware the chief can normally only command artillery, except for the "follow me". However, the Polish list says these troops can be assigned to him. What else can this mean but he commands them directly?
Your explanation makes them no different to any other reserve units.

Répondre