Hold Order

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
SteveR
Chasseur

Hold Order

Message par SteveR » jeu. 25 mars 2021 17:14

How large of a table area can be encompassed by a hold order?

I had an opponent declare a "C" shaped area around a village in order to defend it (he did not choose to include the village in order to not have to occupy it) The "C" shape allowed him to drop back as needed and defend the flanks of the terrain. Page 31 says that the area can be one or more terrain elements or a clearly delineated area.

This caused me to think. It seems to me that it is to the player issuing the hold order's advantage to have the area held be as large as possible to allow him maximum freedom to maneuver.

So consider the case where a division is moving across a bare section of table with no terrain features using maneuver orders. His opponent approaches to within tactical distance so the order is automatically converted to "Hold" during the next command phase. How much area is is reasonable to defend? A rectangle containing all units? The entire area encompassed by the Commander's command radius (less any area occupied by the enemy of course) The latter is not a major issue for poor or ordinary commanders but a brilliant one can sweep out a very large area indeed.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Hold Order

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 25 mars 2021 23:19

There has already been a debate on this (probably in the French section). You have raised the same issues. There is no 'official' ruling on this.
The author has not commented on the forum for a long time. Hopefully now that the next version of ADLG is due he may give some time to BE.

SteveR
Chasseur

Message par SteveR » ven. 26 mars 2021 07:13

I searched the English section before posting and did not see the question addressed.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » ven. 26 mars 2021 21:55

It is in the French section, I had a look. Worth a read.

Répondre