Fire Support

Ask a question about rules
Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Re: Fire Support

Message par Adrian Steer » sam. 22 mai 2021 20:04

My view is that is that its only possible to target the enemy's primary unit which is why target priority is not mentioned as there is only one possible target hence no need to prioritise shooting in straight up combats. However if there are two units say charging either side of the guns at two of your units the choice of which one they fire at is yours but obviously they could only fire support one.

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Message par Viking709 » dim. 23 mai 2021 03:13

We haven’t done this
We prep fire ( hoping to cause the target to fail a morale test) and then charge
But as we’ve only recently discovered (thanks Dan) you can bring up skirmishers in support to fire. So I would say yes as long at some point the artillery had an unobstructed view of the target and meets the target priority requirements which in this case would be at the start of the charge
Formed infantry would have to bleed off fire support if they have a target in salvo range but could still provide morale support
I Do not see where the rules address this but Herve is supposed to start working on a FAQ for BE next

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 23 mai 2021 08:07

As you write "... meets the target priority requirements." This thread is about artillery with a target directly in front being permitted to support a charging unit not in front of them.
Putting it another way: does able to shoot at a target include not having a higher priority target.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » dim. 23 mai 2021 20:09

I suspect we will go round in circles about this and it would be helpful if Herve or his deputy could comment.
Do the firing priorities stay the same though the whole divisional activation phase or do they change depending when the unit fires?
Thus the target priorities are used when several targets are available but in fire support for combat all fire is directed as one target or even opportunity fire ( in the opponents divisional activation phase) where a unit may be shot at because it performs a movement in your shooting arc etc.( albeit only used though in limited circumstances).
Is it possible to stop a unit firing in one phase because its possible to shoot another unit in a different phase because of target priorities?
Answers on the back of a post-card please umpires!

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 24 mai 2021 07:25

Part of that we know. Opportunity fire should not be used if the target may be engaged in one's own phase. Unfortunately the example of getting a short range shot when a longer range shot is available later somewhat contradicts this.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 24 mai 2021 12:28

"Is this just an opinion, or do you have a rule reference to support this?"

Roger, it is an opinion, but I hope a logical one derived from the target priorities discussion overall. If there is only one target, seems to me it logically has priority.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 24 mai 2021 12:31

SteveR a écrit :
ven. 21 mai 2021 23:45
I think the original question got confused a bit - probably due to my jumbled diagram.

Let me try again in words. One unit is charging another unit. A separate Artillery unit wishes to provide fire support even though the enemy it will be shooting is not its primary target in terms of shooting priority.

So Roger's summation is accurate.

Fire support section says that fire support "conditions (range, line of sight...) are the same as for a normal fire."

So the question is whether or not the firing priority is contained in the ellipsis. I think it is but am willing to be enlightened.

Adrian and Kevin - suppose there were two charge combats declared. Is it your position that an artillery unit in position to provide fire support to either of them could freely choose which one they preferred without constraint?
All other conditions being equal Steve, I probably would say yes.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 24 mai 2021 16:50

I would argue that there is a need to be consistent. If the two combats are the only two possible targets, the target priority rules decide which is shot at. Isn't this what a target priority rule is for?

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » jeu. 10 juin 2021 15:00

Yes I agree with you both, if there are two targets the target priority rules kick in and if all other things being equal the player chooses! :D

SteveR
Chasseur

Message par SteveR » ven. 11 juin 2021 21:48

It sounds like three of us have consolidated on one position with Kevin the Viper taking another.

My belief is that support fire must obey target priority restrictions. The artillery can choose the moment during the charge to fireh, however they may only act as fire support if the target is their priority at some point.

To be honest, I really did not see this as that much of a question - I dont see anything in the rules which support the alternative. That fire support may be done at the owners option and may disregard priority. Unless the artillery is on a hill or has an attached commander.

But I've been wrong about obvious things before.

Répondre