Skirmishers in buildings

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Skirmishers in buildings

Message par Adrian Steer » jeu. 20 mai 2021 13:59

Been trying to get my head round shooting at skirmishers in buildings and struggling. So words from the wise and wonderful would be appreciated. Detached skirmishers count as unformed troops although in buildings nobody has any formation. As buildings are "considered" difficult terrain (although not actually terrain) you cannot simply push them out of the building with formed troops as they can stay put if in difficult terrain or behind an obstacle (page 66). Unfortunately detached skirmishes are unformed and hence not easy to target with artillery whereas a full unit would still count as formed so easier to take pot shots at! So is the only answer to flush them out to put a general with the artillery, cause a loss ( having friends will help) at which point they have to leave the building? Bit of a waste of a generals time!

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Re: Skirmishers in buildings

Message par Viking709 » dim. 23 mai 2021 02:59

Move artillery up to close range. So within 4UD for a 6lber your factor will be +1 stationary, +1 ball at close range then -1 if med cover or -2 for Hvy cover then add a few support shots from skirmishers or formed infantry.
So if light cover building and two support you fire at a +4 and resolve on the salvo table because it’s artillery firing. So your guaranteed at least 1 loss to the target

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 23 mai 2021 08:13

I think we are quite happy that we can bring enough fire to do the damage. The issue is that skirmishers are not a formed unit and therefore not a priority target, even if the building is directly ahead. It might therefore be necessarily to put the division commander with a battery to allow it to select a lower priority target.

SteveR
Chasseur

Message par SteveR » dim. 23 mai 2021 17:05

Absent a lot of support they are easy to assault. They gain the protection of the building (+1 to +3) but the opponent gets +2 for fighting skirmishers in difficult terrain.

At least mine seem to melt away

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » dim. 23 mai 2021 19:50

Thanks, I think we are in agreements its just that the skirmishers being unformed targets are hard to focus artillery on for some reason although the buildings are the same size no matter who occupies them, presumably a few skirmishers aren't worth the powder! The other thing I noticed is that you can't see troops in buildings unless you get up to 1 UD or they fire at you( page 70). Then presumably they are known to all troops.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 24 mai 2021 07:29

This one we have discussed before. It came up in a game I ran. Your comment is correct as far as I can discover.

Répondre