Reserves

Ask a question about rules
knightfast
Brigadier

Reserves

Message par knightfast » lun. 4 oct. 2021 07:31

Hi All

Question re reserves.

In a battle you can put a division into reserve and bring it on as desired.
What about Encounter and Assault?

In Encounter can you designate the "2nd" or "3rd" division as reserve and keep it off table for instance?
In assault, as long as you have 1/3 of your forces off table can you additionally hold a division in reserve?
Do flank marches count as reserves or can you bot hold a division in reseve and send one on a flank march?

Many thanks

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Reserves

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 7 oct. 2021 13:11

From page 67 on entry of reserves it seems all off table troops are classified as reserves. This includes flank marchers.
The rules state only half the divisions may be in reserve and this is not limited by the type of battle. Encounters must be the exception.

My reading is that, except in encounters, no more than half one's divisions may be off table. Flank marchers are required to enter the turn after the successful roll. However, it does not seem that other reserves have to enter as soon as they are able.

To answer you specific question: with only three divisions, unless in an encounter, two must be on table.

knightfast
Brigadier

Message par knightfast » ven. 8 oct. 2021 12:13

Thanks Roger

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 8 oct. 2021 20:07

Hi All,

i think there is a misunderstanding between RESERVE Order and Being out off table.

(p81 p82) All out off the table divisions can be either :
in renforcement
In reserve
in out flank march

In this case, only half out off table division can be in RESERVE Mode with a RESERVE Order.

So in encounter mode, if you have 2 out off table division, one of this can be in reserve, the other must be in renforcement or flank march.
In Assaut mode it' the same only Half of your divisions can be in reserve Mode
2 divisions > only one in RESERVE
3 Divisions > only one in RESERVE
4 Divisions > can put 2 divisions in RESERVE mode

Hope i'm clear.

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 9 oct. 2021 08:50

The English rules use the word 'reserve' for anything off table. The section on entry of reserves seemed pretty clear about this.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » dim. 10 oct. 2021 08:33

I Agree, and that's why it's very important to used one word for only one principe. the word reserve it's therefore used for too many things.

How do you play renforcement and flank march if they are assimilated to Reserve ?
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 10 oct. 2021 17:24

Flank marchers must have engage or attack orders. We read it that they are reserves but do not have a 'Reserve' order.
Other reserves off table may have any order, but if they have 'Reserve' cost 1 CP to bring on.
We have never found any confusion with these rules.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » lun. 11 oct. 2021 17:06

Hi Roger,

my understanding is : no more than Half of the division can have the reserve ORDER. (p 67 : no more than half and they get a Reserve ORDER)

That's also cover the encounter , and if you look at the p80 and 81 you can have have Flank march and Reserve or renforcement too.

I totally understand your point of vue, I will check with Hervé.

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 11 oct. 2021 17:11

I don't know why I thought encounter would be an exception. There is no reason why the off table divisions in an encounter should have the RESERVE order.
I will read the book again.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » lun. 11 oct. 2021 19:41

So this would require several divisions in an encounter battle to have preset orders and not a reserve order.
It seems to me easiest to say the p 67 rule connects to the "battle" and "assault" but for encounter the p 74 entry rules over-ride the general point.

Répondre