are infantry in buildings "formed" ?

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
KeefM
Sergent Major

are infantry in buildings "formed" ?

Message par KeefM » mar. 2 nov. 2021 03:21

heya all,

I think the answer to this is "yes", but good to check in ...

If not disordered, are infantry in buildings counted as being formed ? While I understand they are considered to be dispersed around the multiple buildings represented by the terrain piece, do they still count as formed ? in effect, are they a target priority for enemy shooting ? Can they provide morale support to units outside the buildings ?

Cheers,

Keef

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: are infantry in buildings "formed" ?

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 3 nov. 2021 09:20

I don't have the rules to hand but I do remember our group having this discussion. I know that a player wanting to use artillery fire on a building had to put a general with the battery to be able to choose the building as the target priority. I will check the rules again.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 3 nov. 2021 10:56

I have read the rules again. I believe that unless disordered, infantry units in buildings are formed.
This does create the issue that skirmishers occupying a building are not a target priority nor are infantry disordered by previous shooting at the building. One needs a commander with the battery to 'supervise' a long bombardment of a building😁

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » jeu. 4 nov. 2021 19:25

yep, that was my feeling too ... like you, we've been treating infantry in buildings as "unformed" when they aren't ...

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 4 nov. 2021 22:05

Hi all.

Units in building are not formed as it have no formation.

I know it's not mentioned p19. But i have asked it to herve and he said not formed.

Si no moral support for me. And not target priority too.

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » ven. 5 nov. 2021 01:48

Cheers Olivier !

Page 19 does say only infantry and cavalry units in good order are considered to be formed. As infantry in a building are in good order (ie not disordered) then they must count as "formed" ?

Do you think Herve will add "infantry in a building" into the list in the second sentence with the next amendments ?

ThanQ !

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 5 nov. 2021 09:08

Hi,

I agree with you. The definition of Formed units is not relevant fir this situation. But if you consider that infantry in a building, is treated like Skirmisher. "No formation, only skirmish fire" it seems resonnable to admit that they are not formed.

I think it's a good idea add p19 "infantry in a building".

Regards
Olivier M
Cordialement

Olivier M

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » sam. 6 nov. 2021 11:43

To me it is also clear infantry units in buildings are still formed units even though they currently have no formation ( different things) unless they are disordered hence fall within the target priorities for shooting units that are formed ( not in a formation note!). Unfortunately skirmishes in a building are an unformed unit and hence present a problem when you want to shoot at them. I would suggest taking the pragmatic approach and say you're shooting at the building! :D

Répondre