Attach the commander in chief to artillery

Ask a question about rules
Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Attach the commander in chief to artillery

Message par Adrian Steer » mar. 7 déc. 2021 17:21

I've had a look in this forum to see if this question has been raised before but can't see anything to apologies if it has.
we were playing a game today and had some discussion regarding attaching the commander in chief to artillery units and would value feedback on the thoughts.
The section on page 27 Attaching a commander seems to apply to the C in C as well and hence he can attach to any artillery unit in his Corps as they are all "his" divisions. However having attached to the artillery it fires during this divisions activation unlike one kept in reserve which can fire during any divisions activation. Having attached the commander to a divisional or reserve artillery piece it can shoot at the target it wants.

However having attached to the artillery piece this would seem to restrict what he can do as per the Attach the commander in chief section ( page 27), which although is concerned mostly with follow me actions, however as its not titled follow me but Attach the commander in chief hence it suggests to us that if you attached the commander in chief to an artillery battery he can can no longer do the * actions! :?:

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Re: Attach the commander in chief to artillery

Message par Hazelbark » mar. 7 déc. 2021 22:35

So do I understand this is entirely to allow the CiC to help artillery pick a target to shoot at?

So agreed p 27 says "any unit" then loses the abilities etc.

But under follow me p33, artillery are specifically not mentioned. This would seem to indicate the CiC cannot order the Guns to follow me.

I would probably say let the CiC attach and direct fire with all the penalties there of. But I cold see someone arguing expressly against it.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 8 déc. 2021 19:08

You are not arguing against it Dan and the 'Tuesday gamers' were agreed. Just need someone French to throw a spanner in the works now. :D

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 9 déc. 2021 12:03

Hi All,

sorry for the delay.

I will look at this tonight.

Just to be sure, you want to know if it's possible to attach CIC to any troups ( including artillery) and if so, can always used his PC to help ? or he must be considered like a Follow me ?

Sorry if i don't understand well the question

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 9 déc. 2021 17:29

You understand correctly. :)

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 9 déc. 2021 17:46

OK , let's go..

P33 , CIC can use a FOLLOW Order for only Cavalery or infantry units .. NO artillery under a follow me order.
p33 if cic use the Follow me order he cannot use his PC for * actions.

P27 divisional can attach to his division's unit to give +1 in moral and +1 during a fight.
p27: Cic can do the same for any units. But can only give the "Follow me" order to INF or CAV.
p27 attached CIC cannot use PC for *action. (my understanding is IF on "follow me" ORDER as p33)

p50: attached general can cancel the target priority.

So for me. You can attach the CIC without giving the "Follow me" order. Only to give +1 in melee and for moral test. And imo, only the "follow me" order avoid to used *action.

So if you attach a CIC to a divisional artillery, this artillery can choose target, but must fire during the divisional activation. And you can also give your PC to another general.

If you attach CIC to a reserved artillery, you can do the same except that this artillery can choose when it will be activated.

Hope I'm clear, and hope you have the same opinion.
And Hope i'm answering the good question :lol: :lol: :oops:
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 9 déc. 2021 20:29

Our issue is with the wording on page 27. It states that if a commander is attached to a unit he may not do the * actions.
This sentence comes after the "follow me" sentence, but does not specify it applies only to a "follow me" attachment. We are therefore concluding that it should apply to any attachment.
I can understand your opinion, but contend that it is not what the rules actually say. (Although it may be what the author intended to say!).

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » ven. 10 déc. 2021 11:08

Whist I am in agreement with Roger, what we are trying to understand what the author intended as we want to align our understanding of the rules as much as possible with the French rules and how they are played as after all these are a French set of rules and when we allowed to attend international competitions our understandings are the same.
So I guess the question we are asking the French authorities is if a C in C is attached to a unit for other reasons than to issue a follow me order does that stop him using his reserve actions?

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 10 déc. 2021 12:03

For me it's clear that you can be attached without give a Follow order (ex: for rallying) so 2 differents concept for the same word.
I think it's important to have only one word for only one concept.

I will ask to hervé tonight.

Regards.
Cordialement

Olivier M

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » jeu. 16 déc. 2021 22:59

Hi All,

sorry for the delay , i 'have just received the information from Herve.

CIC loose his special ability only when he is attach with a "follow me order."

When attached to an artillery he can still distribute his PC to sub general ...

Regards.
Cordialement

Olivier M

Répondre