Cavalry Withdrawal

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Cavalry Withdrawal

Message par Adrian Steer » mar. 22 mars 2022 16:34

Further question from todays game. If a victorious cavalry units pursues and the player elects not to pursue with the supporting units can they do a withdrawal action ( getting an action marker) or do they have to stay where they are without an action marker?

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Re: Cavalry Withdrawal

Message par Hazelbark » mar. 22 mars 2022 23:46

Good question.
I don't think it is precise.

My assumption is all or nothing. But that is not really supported. So I should not assume.

I think I would say they could choose to do so. ie. Part of the charge goes forward, part withdraws. I don't think I like that, but I think that is where I come down based on p62.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 23 mars 2022 19:41

Yes seems a bit dodgy, however like most queries I'm just trying to establish custom and practice for future games. What make it a bit dodgy for me is that it says Supporting cavalry units may "also" with draw ( my commas). Looking at the definition to check my understanding I find :-
likewise; in the same manner:
Since you're having another cup of coffee, I'll have one also.

So its ability to withdraw is dependent on somebody else doing so. Anyway just happy if we all play it one way consistently.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 23 mars 2022 20:40

I of course see it the other way. Suppose a well disciplined guard cavalry was rear support to an impetuous or low class cavalry. Would it really make sense to insist the guard went chasing off in pursuit just because the mob in front had done so?

The troops in combat may lose control and pursue, but that should not imply those in good order around them, who had not fought, would be out of their officer's control.

If supporters pursuing is optional, then so should their withdrawal be.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » jeu. 24 mars 2022 19:02

Pursuit is optional agreed as it says so in the rules. Its whether the supporter can then do a withdraw move we are discussing. If the general opinion of my learned colleagues it that it can fine by me. I was only saying the English used indicates this is dependent on the pursuing unit also withdrawing. Another possible rephrasing needed in V2? ;)

hcaille
Général de Division

Message par hcaille » lun. 28 mars 2022 07:37

If a cavalry pursue, the unit in support can pursue also but they are not forced to do unless they are impetuous.
If they choose to not ppursue, support unit can do a withdrawal move.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 28 mars 2022 08:53

Thanks, this is what I thought. Maybe there is a translation issue or perhaps it is the way we read our own language😄
Maybe you need a couple of experienced players to read the translation before it is finally published.

Répondre