A few different questions

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
GNW1976
Soldat

A few different questions

Message par GNW1976 » mer. 6 avr. 2022 11:53

Hi, 4 questions:

1. Page 34 - placing or removing a garrison: The wording reads that the cost of 1CP is to place a single unit into Garrison. If the units are garrisoning the same place (eg 2 units on same terrain piece) can they be ordered as a group for 1CP or is it always 1CP per 1 unit?

2. For fictional battles, Reserve orders are intended for units starting off the table.
Whilst I don't think it make sense to change an on table division's order to Reserve, I cannot find anything that prohibits this. Is it intended that on table units can be given Reserve orders?

3. I am confused about artillery moving and shooting in same turn.

Page 52 Firing modifiers for Artillery state that "Fire and limbering or unlimbering" is when artillery fires then limbers and moves, or unlimbers then fires.
And page 54 under "Move and Fire" states the same - artillery can move, unlimber and fire.

Page 29 says that artillery gets an action marker if limbered artillery moves, or is unlimbered.

So if artillery start limbered they can move and unlimber; and then get an action marker so cannot initiate fire/opportunity fire, or preparatory fire (which is earlier in turn sequence anyway…). So they can therefore only provide fire support, or respond if fired upon. Is that correct?

And if artillery start unlimbered, and fire they get an action marker. So how can they fire then limber and move? Page 29 says artillery with action markers cannot move. And I assume that includes a formation change to limber. So no prolong, no limber.

What am I missing?

4. In a recent battle we had a firefight where an infantry unit had to retreat. Behind it, but with a different orientation, was a detached skirmisher.
The infantry retreating 4UD did not fully cross the Skirmishers.

We couldn't find anything in the rules that talk about how to handle when a crossing unit cannot fully cross the unit.

Page 60 Retreat or Flee 6th bullet point talks about passage of lines where you cannot avoid a friendly unit. But passage of lines relates to units with same orientation. And doesn't talk about situations where the retreating unit cannot fully cross the friendly unit.
Page 45 Fleeing sequence, 8th bullet says that crossed units are disordered. But doesnt clarify how to handle if a unit cannot fully cross.

As we play ADLG we displaced the skirmishers. But I am curious how others interpret/handle this. And if it would be different if this was another Line unit and not skirmishers.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Re: A few different questions

Message par Adrian Steer » mer. 6 avr. 2022 16:13

1, My view is that its 1CP for the group

2, No, I don’t believe you can give on table troops a reserve order, although its possible for troops arriving on table to retain the reserve order to allow them to do further operational moves.

3,Yes its very confusing, my take on it is that page 54 describes what you can do, you only get an action marker at the end of one of those series of actions. However, if you have chosen to fire the guns in the preparatory shooting phase you can’t prolong/reorientate the battery. However if you want to move the battery you must only fire during the final firing phase without the benefit of the stationary bonus.

4,We play the following house rule if it helps, if the interpenetration is compulsory from such a cause as moral failure etc we allow troops to pass through if partially interpenetrating. However if the interpenetration occurs due to optional movement the unit must be able to pass through otherwise it stops at the point of contact.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 6 avr. 2022 17:37

Artillery can fire, limber and move. This is only possible if the shot is done in the preparatory fire stage. If you claim the bonus for stationary, then that presumably prevents the battery moving in the movement phase.

An action marker is for what you do during an activation. Sometimes you can do quire a lot but the action marker is only given at the end of your activation. For example cavalry might get to charge, fight, pursue and fight again. When they 're done, they get the action marker (and disorder).

Of course if you do these things in an opponent's activation, getting the action marker limits what you are able to do when your activation comes.

The neat bit of this is if artillery move in their activation, even if they do not shoot, they will have an action marker. This prevents artillery rushing forward and unlimbering, but not firing, and being able to opportunity fire when the enemy moves.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 6 avr. 2022 17:43

I agree there needs to be a clarification to separate voluntary and compulsory passage of lines.
I think we have been playing this correctly. If you fail a morale test in a fire fight, you get extra move to complete the PoL because it is a compulsory retreat. If you pass the test, but choose to move back, I believe you must have room to clear the unit behind. This is because the move is not compulsory.
It would be nice to get this sorted out.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » sam. 9 avr. 2022 03:05

2. I thought there was as clarification that a reserve order is only assigned when off table and a reserve order only exists for that formation until it exits the reserve order. But I can't find it quickly. This is implied in the clarifications to operational movement.

3 Not there is a clarification. Class A artillery can limber move and unlimber but then may not fire.

Répondre