Skirmisher firing zone

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Skirmisher firing zone

Message par RogerGreenwood » mar. 31 mai 2022 22:43

We know for volley fire a unit in line can shoot without the +2 if half the zone is blocked. However, there is no mention of this for skirmisher fire. We assume that for skirmishers to shoot, the firing zone must be the full two base width and there is no 'partially blocked shooting' for them. Is this correct?

Second question: we know skirmishers need not actually shoot at artillery to impose the -1 factor on the artillery. However, do the skirmishers need an uninterrupted zone? For example can the skirmishers shoot at enemy infantry but still affect the artillery even though the zone to the artillery is partially blocked by the target. Hopefully my diagram is clear, S are the skirmishers, T and A the enemy infantry and artillery. I am assuming the artillery are in range and maybe not quite behind their infantry.

SSSS
TTTT
AA

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Re: Skirmisher firing zone

Message par zeitoun » mer. 1 juin 2022 08:55

Hi roger,

i had never questionning mysefl for this skirmish partial fire. Regarding to the spirits of rules, if i had to umpired this , i will say "partial fire for SK means no FT bonus for the shoot".

TO give -1 to an ART, the SK must be able to fire a it, even with a partial fire. . So in your case, if you cannot shoot at ART with the SK , no penalty.

Regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » mer. 1 juin 2022 17:32

That would be a reasonable ruling - let Herve know!

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » ven. 3 juin 2022 08:55

Sounds good to me . So no SK bonus to the shot but presume still compare unit SK values to decide if you're on a minus 1? Hence a SK1 unit with a partial shot may not doesn't get a +1 but against a SK1 target wouldn't get a -1 for target with better SK.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » ven. 3 juin 2022 09:08

Nice one🤪, it is getting complicated.
I would suggest that with half the frontage and counting as SK 0 for shooting, the unit would have worse skirmishers than an SK1 unit.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » ven. 3 juin 2022 10:48

Yes but then I thought there is no skirmisher disadvantage for volley shooting a line as a partial shot. So for consistency sake decided as per my suggestion. Although depends on Herve I guess.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » ven. 3 juin 2022 10:59

zeitoun a écrit :
mer. 1 juin 2022 08:55
Hi roger,

i had never questionning mysefl for this skirmish partial fire. Regarding to the spirits of rules, if i had to umpired this , i will say "partial fire for SK means no FT bonus for the shoot".

TO give -1 to an ART, the SK must be able to fire a it, even with a partial fire. . So in your case, if you cannot shoot at ART with the SK , no penalty.

Regards
Presume you must mean " must be able to fire at it" discounting target priorities as skirmishers are usually required to fire at other targets in arc, we play if the artillery in the firing zone and this is free of friendly or enemy units.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » ven. 3 juin 2022 16:52

I agree i just said that " the SK must be able to shoot at art" To give penalty but it don't have To shoot at it.

Si you must be in arc of fire with no obstruction To give -1 To the artillery.
Cordialement

Olivier M

Répondre