firefight morale test

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
KeefM
Sergent Major

firefight morale test

Message par KeefM » ven. 15 sept. 2023 19:47

The conditions for a firefight morale test state that if one has failed the test, the other unit doesn't then need to test. But what happens if one is eliminated by the shooting ?

In a just completed game, a depleted L4 infantry unit (a good shooter but with 3 losses plus an attrition) was approached at close range by a L3 infantry unit with two losses plus an attrition). In the ensuing firefight both inflicted an attrition on each other, eliminating the first unit (now at 4 losses) and leaving the other with 3 losses.

Is a firefight morale test now needed for the remaining L3 infantry unit even though the opposing unit is gone ?

The firing is assumed to be simultaneous and both units have suffered losses so technically the firefight test is required. Neither has suffered more than the other, so then the L3 unit tests before the L4 unit (worse morale level).

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: firefight morale test

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 16 sept. 2023 20:12

That's a good one. I suspect the reasoning in the rules should be applied. I.e. if the opponents are no longer there, there is no need for a test. Just my opinion though.

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » sam. 16 sept. 2023 22:41

Exactly what I thought ... but, then again, maybe the newly damaged unit should test for having taken another loss (the close presence of the enemy isn't relevant to that new loss level other than the morale boost from seeing them scatter) ?

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 17 sept. 2023 12:17

If a unit doesn't have to test when it sees its opponent retire from the fight it would be difficult to argue that it has to test if its opponent is completely eliminated!

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » ven. 22 sept. 2023 22:15

True ... but consider, if it is a firefight test, then by the sequence provided the surviving L3 unit tests first.

Alternately, if it isn't a firefight test, then the L3 unit would still have to test for taking an extra hit.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 23 sept. 2023 09:21

I don't think so. A fire fight is seen as a face off. If the first unit fails or is no longer present, the other unit stands.

A similar situation would occur after a melee. There is no test because the shock combat decides the result.

This is how we have been playing it.

Similarly, if a cavalry unit with an attrition charges a square and is defeated, the attrition now becomes a loss and the cavalry retreats 8UD in disorder. We do not make the cavalry take a test because it has gained its first loss.

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » sam. 23 sept. 2023 21:52

The cavalry in your example wouldn't need to test anyway cos there isn't a test for a loss after melee, only after shooting results :D ...

Otherwise, your approach seems sensible ... but the rules, as written, do require the firefight test for the L3 unit, notwithstanding the sensibility of not doing so cos the opposing unit has vanished.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 24 sept. 2023 08:38

I understand your argument, but I believe it isn't the intention of the rules.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » mar. 26 sept. 2023 17:57

I agree with Roger, it would seem unreasonable that when a unit has been eliminated( but somehow managed to inflict more casualties) the surviving unit has to test for morale.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » dim. 12 nov. 2023 20:51

RogerGreenwood a écrit :
sam. 16 sept. 2023 20:12
That's a good one. I suspect the reasoning in the rules should be applied. I.e. if the opponents are no longer there, there is no need for a test. Just my opinion though.
My view as well.

Répondre