Couple more Queries

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
SgtRolfSteiner
Chasseur

Couple more Queries

Message par SgtRolfSteiner » sam. 14 déc. 2019 00:59

Hi

Just checking i have got Engaged correct as regards units counting as support.

1. A unit within shooting range of enemy is engaged even if not actually fired yet (ie not yet activated) ?
2. What is shooting range for these firefights? Volley fire range or Skirmish fire range?
3. Does having Cavalry at Tactical range cause a unit to be Engaged ?
4. A unit that is engaged cannot provide Fire or Morale support to a combat but does this also include if counting as support for a Morale Test ?

5. An Artillery unit that Fires in support grants a +2 for cannister but if is target of charge does it count thus +2 ? Reading rules it seems no ?

6. A unit of Impetuous Cavalry is pursuing, its pursuit in a straight line would take it into another enemy unit however this unit is engaged in contact by another friendly unit. Do the pursuers stop short of enemy ? Or move around and continue pursuit ?

Really enjoying rules but several queries arise unfortunately (might be to do with translation at times)

Cheers

Noss Calavera
Soldat

Re: Couple more Queries

Message par Noss Calavera » sam. 14 déc. 2019 16:06

This is my interpretation of the rules.

1. A unit within shooting range of enemy is engaged even if not actually fired yet (ie not yet activated) ?

A) You are within Tactical Distance and “less free to move”. If you have not charged as part of your activation you must Mandatory fire (p.50)

2. What is shooting range for these firefights? Volley fire range or Skirmish fire range?

A) Ranges Infantry / Rifle = 2 / 3 MU. It is volley fire.

3. Does having Cavalry at Tactical range cause a unit to be Engaged ?

A) Yes, but I think the word Engaged is used incorrectly here. You are within Tactical Distance. Engaged in combat requires a charge and 2 units in contact.

4. A unit that is engaged cannot provide Fire or Morale support to a combat but does this also include if counting as support for a Morale Test ?

A) I assume you are using engaged as in shock combat with an enemy after a charge? If so, then you would not provide support at the unit in shock combat is the primary unit. Other units around the primary may provide support.

5. An Artillery unit that Fires in support grants a +2 for cannister but if is target of charge does it count thus +2 ? Reading rules it seems no ?

A) Defending artillery in shock combat get a 0/+1/+3 modifier if it has no safe flank/1 safe flank or /2 safe flanks. (p.59)

6. A unit of Impetuous Cavalry is pursuing, its pursuit in a straight line would take it into another enemy unit however this unit is engaged in contact by another friendly unit. Do the pursuers stop short of enemy ? Or move around and continue pursuit ?

A) If an enemy has been routed or cannot be caught, the pursuing unit may pivot up to 45 degrees(after their initial 1 MU move straight forward) to engage another enemy NOT already engaged in combat. (p.61) If this would cause the cavalry to hit another already engaged enemy then I would say the unit moves up to 1mm away from this already engaged unit but does not contact the unit.

SgtRolfSteiner
Chasseur

Re: Couple more Queries

Message par SgtRolfSteiner » dim. 15 déc. 2019 21:52

Hi

Thanks for answers which tie in with what I thought

Only one I did not get (as in don't think I explained query properly)

A) I assume you are using engaged as in shock combat with an enemy after a charge? If so, then you would not provide support at the unit in shock combat is the primary unit. Other units around the primary may provide support.

What I mean is that if a unit A is Engaged (by potential volley fire or Cav in Tactical distance not actually being in contact with an enemy unit) it quite clearly does not count as Morale or Fire Support during Shock Combat to a friend B that is actually fighting.
However if friend B is forced to Test Morale does unit A count for the +1 support boost ?
Confused a bit as the rules for Support are stated in the Combat section of rules but unclear if these definitions of support/engaged apply in the 'separate' Morale Test section ?

In fact cannot find an actual definition of Engaged which might be helpful.

Any more clear as to query ?

Cheers

Répondre