Artillery after melee

Ask a question about rules
prussianhussaruk
Brigadier

Artillery after melee

Message par prussianhussaruk » sam. 14 déc. 2019 08:41

We had a very interesting situation last night, which we could not resolve.

PI PI PI PI PA PA PC PC
FI FI FI FI

PI is Prussian infantry in line, PA is Prussian artillery battery & PC is a Prussian column
FI is French infantry in line.

The French infantry decide to fight the artillery.
After shock the result is a draw, but because the Artillery is a lower status than the French infantry win.

Page 62 Unlimbered artillery.
The artillery is eliminated, but there is no mention as to what happens to the supports.

Also the Prussian infantry is still in contact with the victorious French infantry, so what happens here?

Don

hcaille
Général de Division

Re: Artillery after melee

Message par hcaille » jeu. 19 déc. 2019 11:14

The french infantry should advance but in this case there is no room to do that as they are in line. Moreover the french cannot stay in contact with prussian infantry.
So the only solution is to recoil French infantry one UD.

micheni
Soldat

Message par micheni » mer. 8 janv. 2020 20:34

may i ask; is it possible for the french infantry to contact prussian infantry but fight the artillery;
thx

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » jeu. 9 janv. 2020 13:58

Don't the rules say you can only attack one unit with a unit? If the attack was to be on the artillery then that is what should be contacted. The infantry would then be hit by the pursuit.

prussianhussaruk
Brigadier

Message par prussianhussaruk » jeu. 9 janv. 2020 18:13

RogerGreenwood a écrit :
jeu. 9 janv. 2020 13:58
Don't the rules say you can only attack one unit with a unit? If the attack was to be on the artillery then that is what should be contacted. The infantry would then be hit by the pursuit.
You can contact more than one unit, but only one fights, attackers choice, the other counts as support.

Can't pursue as already in contact with the infantry when the artillery is removed.

Don

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » ven. 10 janv. 2020 10:05

The attackers can contact a single enemy with more than one unit. They choose which to fight with and which are supports. However, that is not the same as using one unit to contact two defenders which is being discussed here.

prussianhussaruk
Brigadier

Message par prussianhussaruk » ven. 10 janv. 2020 11:37

RogerGreenwood a écrit :
ven. 10 janv. 2020 10:05
The attackers can contact a single enemy with more than one unit. They choose which to fight with and which are supports. However, that is not the same as using one unit to contact two defenders which is being discussed here.
Sorry I missed that point. Looks as if I need to go through the rules again and re-check it.

Don

prussianhussaruk
Brigadier

Message par prussianhussaruk » sam. 11 janv. 2020 09:37

I have had another look at this and I cannot find nowhere where it says you cannot contact two enemy units.

P57. Several units against one.
It says 'During a shock combat, each enemy unit must be attacked separately.' But what is meant by attacked?

Our problem with this is how do you attack a battery placed in line with two infantry units, whereby the battery has a unit on either flank and in contact with it?

Don

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » sam. 11 janv. 2020 10:35

The page 57 'attacked separately' is the part I was referring to. I cannot see this as meaning anything other than contacting only one unit with each attacking unit.
The problem of attacking three units in line is an interesting one. I would suggest declaring which is being attacked and if successful, assuming a pursuit into another. Not an 'official ruling' of course. I feel the attacker needs to be the one with the choice. The defender could have staggered his units if he wished.
We are in need of some competition play to generate some discussion and clarification.

KeefM
Sergent Major

Message par KeefM » dim. 12 janv. 2020 09:14

But of course in the charge move, the charging unit has to wheel to line up its centre with its target; oh, and the rules do say it is one unit vs one unit.

Répondre