Why you should play BE ...

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
KeefM
Sergent Major

Why you should play BE ...

Message par KeefM » jeu. 26 déc. 2019 18:19

hiya all,

FWIW, I just posted a far too long "what's so good about Bataille Empire" post here ... http://bataille-empire.fr/forum/phpBB3/ ... 6093#p6093.

Cheers,

Keef

Tirpitz
Chasseur

Re: Why you should play BE ...

Message par Tirpitz » ven. 27 déc. 2019 10:02

As usual Keith a well written summary of BE. As Keith knows Roundie came round to mine for a 200pt French 1809 vs Austrian 1809. Basically as I was defending (French) I held on "hold" orders for to long and suffered. In the end it was relatively close, but my army broke in the 6th turn. As things get to the end you have so much to think about, juggling command points, priorities and putting up with throwing way to many 1's at the wrong moments !!
Do find that on a 1200x800 table you really don't get a lot of wiggle room for moving about. It is a case of suck it and see what works and what does'nt. Overall I am enjoying the rules and learning heaps even after 30 years + of Napoleonic gaming !

Cheers
Rob

Roundie
Grenadier

Message par Roundie » sam. 28 déc. 2019 20:34

Rob

I think the lack of wiggle room in our game was because were using troop stands and a UD that was 10mm bigger than the rules suggest for that size table. 40mm Frontage so 40mm UD.

The fact that I was using Austrians with their big battalions probably didn't help. Next game I think we should move to a 1500/1050mm table. If you do the maths for 30mm vs 40mm (UD & Basing) the table should be slightly bigger but 5ft/3½ft keeps it simple for old school imperial lads like myself.

Personally I didn't find the table overly tight in terms of troop density. After all one cavalry unit did manage to slip around an open flank in our game. However I did find it a little to easy for a brilliant commander to keep all his generals under his wing with the enlarged UD/command range. Also with the 40mm UD fleeing units ran out of room really quickly.

I would stress that I don't believe anything I have mentioned above is a problem within the rules themselves. It's totally to do with adjusting the table size to match our basing

Even so I really enjoyed our game and the more I play this system the more I like it.

Tirpitz
Chasseur

Message par Tirpitz » dim. 29 déc. 2019 01:25

Cheers Roundie

Yes makes perfect sense, so would make moving around just that little bit better. True fleeing units if close to an edge disappeared rapidly, so ddeper table will at least give you a chance to save them maybe. I'll adjust my table size to suit and have a game with Michael to see if that makes it better.

Rob

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » lun. 30 déc. 2019 09:35

HI All,

I play BE since one year now, and to avoid any problem from the fleeing unit the best way is to have a second line in rear support to stop the flee.

If you always play in two line , you've got a lot of space one your table :) even in 1200/800 :)

Olivier M
Cordialement

Olivier M

hcaille
Général de Division

Message par hcaille » lun. 3 févr. 2020 14:55

In 15 mm stay with UD = 3 cm
In 28 mm, use UD = 5 or 6 cm and use a bigger table (120 x 180 cm)

Répondre