Units in buildings

Ask a question about rules
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Units in buildings

Message par viperofmilan » mer. 26 févr. 2020 13:54

Can a unit be in the space occupied by a building without "occupying" the building; i.e. simply moving through a piece of difficult terrain rather than dispersing to defend it?

fdunadan
Capitaine

Re: Units in buildings

Message par fdunadan » jeu. 19 mars 2020 12:31

Apparently no, a building is in fact several buildings withs walls/hedges and is not easy to pass for an infantry unit in close order. So you must enter (at half move) and in a subsequent move, exit (again at half move) if you don't want to stay in the area.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » jeu. 19 mars 2020 18:45

OK, thanks for the reply. Still seems odd to me that a column of infantry can march through dense woods but not through a group of scattered buildings.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » sam. 21 mars 2020 14:52

I think this is correct. Meaning you must occupy if you move through.

It is very clear the description the building area represents the dense grounds and building. And any road or path are adjacent to the area.

So I would envision this as a smaller feature than how some other rules view buildings as including integral roads. This way you are not assuming there is always a path through as roads do not bisect buildings as in other rules.

If you see the last line under roads p77 it says that you can nudge the building to align it with roads.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 22 mars 2020 23:40

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. I still do not understand how a column of infantry can move through dense woods (admittedly at a reduced speed) where any available tracks I assume would be narrow and twisting affairs, but cannot do the same around a couple of buildings. Surely single building terrain features cannot represent more than a very few buildings, or they would be villages, would they not?

Cialdini
Soldat

Message par Cialdini » sam. 18 avr. 2020 07:57

If your question relates to moving through a single building model, why not simply move your unit up to the edge of the building? The following turn you can move passed the building thereby avoiding all these complications!

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » sam. 18 avr. 2020 10:25

Cialdini,

If I understand your reply (and I think I do) that was my original question. Consensus appears to be that you cannot do this. Majority thinks you must first occupy the building, and then leave the building: you cannot simply move through the building area, Still seems odd to me as a column of troops can march through dense woods, but cannot march around a couple of buildings? All rules have their oddities I suppose.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » sam. 18 avr. 2020 18:39

Well it is the nature of what the "building" foot print represents.
Roads don't go through buildings. The foot print is the built up area. If you want to go around, then go around.

fdunadan
Capitaine

Message par fdunadan » dim. 19 avr. 2020 04:31

If you want to pass the buildings, then move your troops around without entering. Then you won't have the protection of the building.
There is no road through a building, since if a road exist, it pass between two differents buildings.

Remember the period: that was not the Champs-Elysées, villages and towns were largely still at medieval level of construction, with very smal and tortuous streets, even to the point where a carriage couldn't pass. So if your regiment try to enter such a zone, the men will have to disperse in small streets, pass trough doors and windows, climb walls and hedges,... and finally reform at the exit.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 19 avr. 2020 10:59

But the question wasn't about villages, it was about buildings. Single buildings represent " a farm and it's outbuildings, a castle, a hamlet, or a district of a city". I could be wrong, but it seems to me that since there is a distinction between buildings and villages, the first 2 items in this list refer most logically to buildings, while the latter 2 refer to villages. I just find it difficult to wrap my hear around why a column of troops can move through trackless dense woods but cannot march through a farm and it's outbuildings. In both instances, of course, they could simply march around rather than through, yes?

Admittedly, some of my confusion might arise from our standard use of a 2 X 3 MU footprint for single buildings. I realize that this footprint could be much larger, and therefore reasonably represent a more extensive built up area. But I still never have seen a farm that a column of troops couldn't march through.

Not a big deal to game play. I just like to understanding the thinking behind these apparent anomalies.

Répondre