Flank charges.

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
Martin
Soldat

Flank charges.

Message par Martin » mer. 4 mars 2020 17:54

Some confusion over the rules for Flank or Rear charge on p. 44 of the English rules.

Q1) first bullet last sentence: “No part of the attackers Front edge should face his target” makes no sense. Should it be the opposite, “No part of the targets front edge should face the attacker”, or is it more subtle?

Specific situation that occurred on our game: (from behind the French army);
French Btn in Line;
Anchored on the left side By a French Btn in column;
Charged by a Russian Dragoon regt at a 45 degree Angle, point of contact being the Right Hand corner of the French Line. I.e. the Russians are 50% in front, 50% on the flank.

Q2) Does this country as a flank charge?

For clarity, the Btns right flank was completely hanging, there was no support on that side at all.

gibbyj
Adjudant

Re: Flank charges.

Message par gibbyj » mer. 4 mars 2020 19:37

Ok, the way I understand it.
Refer to unit orientation on p19.
If your dragoon is in the sectors named Front and flank......it is a flank charge.
If any part of your base is in the sector Front (in front) ...... then not a flank charge.
cheers
Jim

fdunadan
Capitaine

Message par fdunadan » jeu. 19 mars 2020 12:36

Martin a écrit :
mer. 4 mars 2020 17:54
Some confusion over the rules for Flank or Rear charge on p. 44 of the English rules.

Q1) first bullet last sentence: “No part of the attackers Front edge should face his target” makes no sense. Should it be the opposite, “No part of the targets front edge should face the attacker”, or is it more subtle?
in the French version, it is clear: no part of the front of the attacker can be directly in face of the front of the defender.

Specific situation that occurred on our game: (from behind the French army);
French Btn in Line;
Anchored on the left side By a French Btn in column;
Charged by a Russian Dragoon regt at a 45 degree Angle, point of contact being the Right Hand corner of the French Line. I.e. the Russians are 50% in front, 50% on the flank.

For clarity, the Btns right flank was completely hanging, there was no support on that side at all.
[/quote]
Since the Russian is partally on the front, that's not a flank charge.

Martin
Soldat

Message par Martin » ven. 3 avr. 2020 09:04

Cheers, that is how I read the rules, but it does not seem very realistic; given that the charging cavalry Would lap around the flank and decimate the btn from that flank.

Hazelbark
Adjudant

Message par Hazelbark » dim. 5 avr. 2020 00:08

Martin a écrit :
mer. 4 mars 2020 17:54

Point of contact is a secondary adjudication.
First the unit must begin in the legal flank charge position at the start of the move. p 44 first bullet. "the attacker must start..."
So it is hard (but not impossible) for you to have charged and struck the front corner first. Remember you have to wheel and charge center to center. )p 42,right column,5th bullet)
Now as I said, what you describe is possible. It means you likely started in a position with just a portion of your unit across the line. Practically, you must have the center of your unit on or past the line denoting behind the front, or what happened to you will happen.

You are correct there is a translation bump, “face his” should be “be directly in front of the”

Répondre