Cohesion/Casualty/Information Markers V2

Topics about miniatures and how to paint them
Répondre
Arborian
Soldat

Cohesion/Casualty/Information Markers V2

Message par Arborian » jeu. 30 mars 2023 16:18

I am a beginner to miniature wargaming and as will be seen from the following pictures my painting and modelling skills are not the best. However based on my research I was looking to provide the maximum information possible concerning infantry battalions, cavalry regiments or artillery batteries without adding more markers, coloured beads or coloured dice. These additional markers need to be found when needed, can be inadvertently forgotten when units are moved and need to be removed when no longer needed. This all required more references back to the rules and can lead to errors and accidental forgetfulness. To overcome these issues I decided to create Cohesion/Casualty/Information markers for each unit with a figure from the figures used for the unit and painted in the unit's uniform. So each unit would have at least one Cohesion/Casualty/Information marker and those infantry units which can split into skirmishers units would have two such markers available.

Starting with the infantry I have a picture of the markers for the 71st Light Infantry, see below

For a light infantry battalion one marker is required when deployed as a battalion and for a small, medium or large battalion deployed as skirmisher units two markers are required. This is a change for a large battalion deployed as skirmisher units, as three markers were required for V1.

When an infantry unit suffers an ATTRITION it loses its
backpack as follows, slide out the backpack on its base and turn over, see below

Then slide the overturned backpack base back into the marker, see below

Image@

For a second ATTRITION slide out the backpack base and turn over, then slide back into the marker redisplaying the backpack and reduce the COHESION score on the marker by 1.

I also use the marker to display the STATUS, MORALE and MANOEUVRE CLASS as follows (for all units whether infantry, cavalry or artillery):

STATUS - - - - - - - - - - - - -WILD FLOWER COLOUR
Guard - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold
Elite - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Emerald Green
Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Lemon Yellow
Militia - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Magenta
Irregular - - - - - - - - - - - - - Indigo

MORALE - - - - - - - - - - - -WILD FLOWER NUMBERS
High=6 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -6
-: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
-: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
Low=1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1

MANOEUVRE CLASS - WILD FLOWER BORDER COLOUR
A - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Light Blue
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - White
C - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Light Grey

So for a British Light Infantry battalion the STATUS is Elite, the MORALE is 4 and the MANOEUVRE CLASS is B, see below

If the unit can have different STATUS, MORALE or MANOEUVRE CLASS I use changeable sub-bases with different wild flower colours, wild flower numbers and/or wild flower border colours that will slot into the COHESION marker. For example a British Line Infantry unit could be classified as Garrison having STATUS=Line MORALE=2 MANOEUVRE CLASS=B, could be classified as Line having STATUS=Line MORALE=3 MANOEUVRE CLASS=B or could be classified as Veteran having STATUS=Line MORALE=4 MANOEUVRE CLASS=B, see three pictures below, please note that the sub-base with two flowers and the sub-base with three flowers are just opposite sides of the same sub-base

Moving onto cavalry the first picture shows the markers for two British Light Dragoon regiments, the 12th and 16th, with no ATTRITION. For cavalry the loseable item is the portmanteau, see below

If a cavalry regiment suffers an attrition, slide out the portmanteau on its base and turn over, see below

Then slide the overturned portmanteau and base back into the marker, see below

The STATUS, MORALE and MANOEUVRE CLASS of British Light Dragoons is STATUS=Line, MORALE=3 AND MANOEUVRE CLASS=B, so Lemon Yellow WILD FLOWERS, 3 in NUMBER and a White WILD FLOWER BORDER, see below

Lastly the artillery and their loseable item, the cannon ball(s). The British Horse Artillery marker with no ATTRITION is shown below

When an ATTRITION is suffered, slide out the cannon ball(s) on their base and turn over, see below

Slide the overturned base and cannon ball(s) back into the marker, see below

The British Horse Artillery are STATUS=Elite, MORALE=4 AND MANOEUVRE CLASS=A, so Emerald Green WILD FLOWERS, 4 in NUMBER and Light Blue WILD FLOWERS BORDERS, see below

Having got this far I thought that it should be possible to display all the TROOP ATTRIBUTES and SPECIAL ABILITIES on the unit bases. I decided to add one additional "flower", which I describe as a WEED, to each base. The WEED colour is Pink. The WEED also has BORDER colours (which are the same for all units, whether infantry, cavalry or artillery), they define the MOVEMENT SPECIAL ABILITIES Fast, Slow and neither Fast nor Slow, i.e. Normal

MOVEMENT - - - - - - - - -WEED BORDER COLOUR
Fast - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Light Blue
Normal - - - - - - - - - - - - - White
Slow - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Light Grey

Then the additional TROOP ATTRIBUTES and SPECIAL ABILITIES are defined by coloured lines crossing the WEED. For infantry these lines are as follows

ATTRIBUTES/ABILITIES - COLOUR & NUMBER of LINES
Skirmish Factor 0 - - - - - - -Green & 0
Skirmish Factor 1 - - - - - - -Green & 1
Skirmish Factor 2 - - - - - - -Green & 2
Elan - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Red & 1
Stoic - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Brown & 1 (V2)
Tenacious - - - - - - - - - - - - -Black & 1
Good Shooter - - - - - - - - - -Yellow & 1
Poor Shooter - - - - - - - - - - Purple & 1
Rifle - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Gold & 1
@Rifle - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Silver & 1
Melee Weapons - - - - - - - - Orange & 1 (V2)

So British Light Infantry units have a WEED with a White BORDER (Normal Movement), two Green LINES (Skirmish Factor 2), one Black LINE (Tenacious) and one Yellow LINE (Good Shooter), see below

British Line Infantry units have a WEED with a White BORDER (Normal Movement), one Green LINE (Skirmish Factor 1) and one Yellow LINE (Good Shooter), see below

British Rifle Infantry units have a WEED with a White BORDER (Normal Movement), two Green LINES (Skirmish Factor 2), one Black LINE (Tenacious) and one Gold LINE (Rifle), see below

For cavalry these lines are as follows

ATTRIBUTES/ABILITIES - COLOUR & NUMBER of LINES
Impetuous - - - - - - - - - - - - Red & 1
Cuirass - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Silver & 2
Half Cuirass - - - - - - - - - - -Silver & 1
Lance - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold & 1

I have not added a marker for the new V2 attribute:
Camel - most people will be able to identify that a camel is not a horse

So British Light Cavalry units have a WEED with a White BORDER (Normal Movement) and one Red LINE (Impetuous ), see below

For artillery these lines are as follows

ATTRIBUTES/ABILITIES - COLOUR & NUMBER of LINES Good Shooter- - - - - - - - - - Yellow & 1
Poor Shooter - - - - - - - - - - -Purple & 1
Short Range - - - - - - - - - - - -Brown & 1

I have not added markers for the new V2 attributes: Shrapnel - only applies to British after 1809
No Howitzers - batteries have one cannon but I include one howitzer, as scenery in the same way that I use a horse team and limber as scenery. If No Howitzers then I don't deploy the howitzer model.

So British Royal Horse Artillery units have a WEED with a White BORDER (Normal Movement) and no LINES, see below

I hope this might be of use to some people and I am sure that many, if not all, of you can produce a much better artistic representation. However I am sure the markers described above will require less references to rules or army lists and will reduce the likelihood of dislocating markers from the parent unit as each unit has only one marker, thereby speeding up the game. For example combat between infantry units which requires the calculation of which side has the better skirmish factor: with these bases in use all that is needed is to count the number of green lines on the bases involved in the combat.

Répondre