cavalry shooting

Posez vos questions sur la règle
Répondre
Carlos Lopes
Brigadier

cavalry shooting

Message par Carlos Lopes » jeu. 28 sept. 2023 11:00

The fire capacity of light and irregular cavalry, hussars and dragoons (medium and light) is very weak.

The rules say they are not relevant to the game.

But I think it's important!

How about considering cavalry fire (the one that can fire) as skirmishers (FT0) reach 2 UD. This without changing anything in the rules, shooting tables and considering the skirmish shooting effects table.

This means that they do not have the possibility of isolated shooting (that's what the rules intend), but it will give the possibility of supporting shooting in combats (1/2 point) and gives another tactical possibility without the need to charge for show your presence.

What do you think about this possibility? I have used light cavalry to support combat and this would be very important for my Portuguese army.

Carlos Lopes
Brigadier

Re: cavalry shooting

Message par Carlos Lopes » sam. 14 oct. 2023 09:55

Light cavalry will be able to fire with mounted rifles.
Do you remember Bruce Quarrie?

According to our rules, we should consider the maximum shooting range of 2 UD and they can only be fired when in "skirmish".

The function of the light cavalry was not to make "skirmish screens" but they acted in dispersed formation (extended order) to make "Harrassing Fire", to support shooting or charges. This is the main difference between infantry skirmish and cavalry skirmish.

for the light cavalry in "extended order" the infantry skirmish rules will apply, with the necessary differences due to being mounted.

Has anyone tried this option?

Votre Grâce !
Lieutenant

Message par Votre Grâce ! » lun. 16 oct. 2023 15:26

Hi,
I don't agree with you about the light cavalry fire. They are just anectotic and ineffective on the battlefield.
They are only useful when the light cavalry is on reconnaissance or for the dragoons if they dismount.
In Spain, French dragoons tried to stop the charge of British light cavalry with fire. The French dragoons were slaughtered.
« Camarades, voilà le moment de la victoire ; laissons avancer l’ennemi sans tirer un seul coup de fusil, et chargeons-le à la baïonnette [...] Vive la Nation ! [...] La Victoire est à Nous !  »

Carlos Lopes
Brigadier

Message par Carlos Lopes » mer. 25 oct. 2023 08:30

"In Spain, French dragoons tried to stop the charge of British light cavalry with fire. The French dragoons were slaughtered."

Thanks for reinforcing my idea. The cavalry fires!

I never claimed that cavalry wins battles with shooting. Very far from that.
What I want is for the cavalry to have the chance to fire, that is, to apply the shooting rules and support to them as well, but with a very restricted range. Range of 1 UD is even more correct if mounted and 2 UD if dismounted dragons, rules such as infantry and skirmish (dispersed order), and irregular cavalry when in dispersed order.

Regular irregular and light cavalry on harassment or patrol missions can pass close to an enemy unit and fire and continue on their way.

If in dispersed order, they can operate very well within enemy firing ranges without suffering casualties and with a much higher threat power.

With shooting capabilities, they can provide support without having to charge the enemy and systematically reform.

The option of cavalry shooting does not violate the concept of the rules, nor does it complicate the game. It will give more chances for tactical maneuvers.

No one protested against the optional "ECHELON ATTACK" rule, in which it is possible to attack with a unit of French Guard Dragoons with the support of a small light cavalry unit of "provisional chasseurs a cheval" and carry out an immediate second combat with + 1 and all previous combat factors.

Common sense is one of the virtues of this rules. I really like these rules and the simplified combat system wasn't designed to limit options. Just to speed up the game.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment.
I also do not advise anyone trying to stop a cavalry charge on a light cavalry unit in dispersed order with their own shot.

hcaille
Général de Division

Message par hcaille » dim. 24 déc. 2023 07:44

Hello

In all history books I have read about firing cavalry, it is said that their fire was ineffective. Sometimes 2 cavalry shoot a each other during 1 hour and at the end, nobody was hurt.
There are no example of cavalry harrassing infantry with fire as foot skirmishers did.
Cavalrymen used their firearms essentialy during their scouting activities to shoot at the enemy scouts or they can use their pistols during a charge.

I choose to not represent firing cavalry to avoid two things :
- Loose time to resolve inefective firing
- Discourage players to use cavalry in a wrong way

The role of the cavalry is to charge, not to fire.

Répondre