Linear doctrine requirements

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Linear doctrine requirements

Message par viperofmilan » sam. 12 sept. 2020 20:49

This came up in a game today. British line marched onto table in column. They made one move and ended up over 6 UD from nearest enemy. French charged in column. Question: do British have to try and go to line? If not, can they counter-charge in column? We played it they had to try and go to line (they failed of course).

How do others play this?

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Re: Linear doctrine requirements

Message par Adrian Steer » dim. 13 sept. 2020 14:53

Not sure the British could be in column anyway under these sets of rules. It says on page 109 that the British operates exclusively in linear order. Don't think its overridden anywhere else in the rules. Other rulesets use march columns and attach columns as different formations but that doesn't seem to be an option in BE.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 13 sept. 2020 20:43

I don't think that is correct.

Page 23 is pretty clear:

"Infantry is trained to fight in line formation. it can use column to move faster but must change into line to move within tactical distance from the enemy. The unit may charge while in column only to attack along a road or a village or if an impassable or penalizing terrain requires it to be in column (i.e. a bridge)."

During the game in question, my columns did not move within tactical distance of the enemy: his columns moved within tactical distance of me and charged the next turn before I had a chance to activate. So would this situation simply be one the author didn't think of when writing the rules? There certainly are examples of British infantry charging in column when they weren't charging along a road or attacking a village.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » dim. 13 sept. 2020 20:58

Yes you are correct thanks. Looking at the wording the author seems to not address counter charging. I would of thought it reasonable for you to counter-charge but not get any bonus for charging in column.

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » dim. 13 sept. 2020 21:02

It seems to imply you get the line bonus not the column bonus +1 not +2 is that what you think?

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 13 sept. 2020 22:25

Yes. Charging in column gives a +1 rather than +2 to linear doctrine armies.

Even if it is only a home rule, I think we will allow such units to counter charge in column in future. Now if I can just get a rule that does not allow my units to roll 1s on maneuver tests . . .

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » lun. 14 sept. 2020 09:39

good luck with that although I had the other end of the dice when my cuirassiers destroyed a unit in square so mustn't complain! :D

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 14 sept. 2020 21:58

I did.

babyshark
Soldat

Message par babyshark » ven. 18 sept. 2020 22:28

viperofmilan a écrit :
dim. 13 sept. 2020 20:43

During the game in question, my columns did not move within tactical distance of the enemy: his columns moved within tactical distance of me and charged the next turn before I had a chance to activate. So would this situation simply be one the author didn't think of when writing the rules? There certainly are examples of British infantry charging in column when they weren't charging along a road or attacking a village.
Did your unit try to react when the French moved into tactical range? P46. They would also get another chance to react when charged, but the consequences of failure are higher then.

Masrc

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » ven. 18 sept. 2020 23:24

You are quite right Marc, and no, I did not think to do that at the time. Frankly, that is one rule that both Walt and I forget to use about 95% of the time. Doesn't really address the question at hand though.

Répondre